Partners for Good embarked on a mission to bring stakeholders in youth employability together to organize and coordinate efforts in this sector. This is because there was no clear picture about the components and challenges youth employment faced in Jordan. The core activities and programs, which were developed by Partners for Good, can be summarized as follows:
- Demand-Driven Technical Training Modules
These modules were developed in partnership with employers from the private sector. Partners for Good focused its training providers in two sectors represented by the following:
- Renewable energy, and mobile application and game development.
- Through this collaboration and line of work, Partners for Good developed strong relationships and agreements with training providers and with private sector institutions. In addition to this, PfG developed a capacity in trainings, and conducted technical training, job placement and internship activities throughout Jordan.
- Partners for Good’s focus on mobile application development stems from its belief in its attractiveness in engaging youth in local development. PfG, has and still to this date, delivers technical trainings on mobile application development across different Jordanian governorates.
- Youth Employment Ecosystem
Partners for Good conducted several consultation and data collection workshops since 2017. This was completed in order to gather, in a participatory approach, insights and inputs into the gaps preventing better results and integration towards better outcomes for youth employment. Analysis for the youth employment ecosystem included research and gap identification with several stakeholders and proposed interventions identified through a participatory approach and an anticipated donor’s conference is planned to validate and consult the results of the analysis which is planned for the near future by Partners for Good.
- Internship Models
This is a fully proofed and tested internship model developed in partnership with the private sector and has been used for internship activities since 2013. In addition to this, part of Partners for Good’s work with USAID Youth Power, which is led by Global Communities, includes partaking in the internship cohorts who were recruited over two cycles thus far. The other primary component led by Partners for Good, the sustainability component, ensures continuation of partnerships and youth mapping activities to promote stronger civic engagement and youth participation in community planning.
Under this work, Partners for Good is currently leading piloting internship and youth-led monitoring activities as follows:
- PfG is implementing these activities in three pilot municipalities in Mafraq and Karak governorates. We are implementing internship and youth-led monitoring activities.
- PfG engaged 10 young people in each governorate/municipality to work in municipal departments to gain knowledge and practices on the professions that they shadow and accompany, as well as to embed new spirit and capacity within these departments.
- These engagement and shadowing arrangements for the selected youth was done after PfG trained them on project planning, project design and project monitoring.
The total target for 2019 is to engage 20 young people in the 3 municipalities and continue to develop this approach through continuous stakeholder engagement exercises.